From: Andrew Cooks <acooks@××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] QA or an unchanging portage tree?
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 06:28:57
1 Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > Which would you find more valuable and why?
3
4 I 'vote' for a more robust QA of the main tree.
5
6 I'm running Gentoo on about 10 servers, doing NFS, Samba, Imap & SMTP,
7 Web (Static, PHP and Java stuff), dial-in, remote logging, cvs and other
8 arb. stuff.
9
10 It's not life and death stuff - these machines are all used by the
11 department of Computer Science at the University of Pretoria, which
12 explains the number of different services used.
13
14 Many people would argue that it's better to do updates during holidays,
15 but I've found that it's easier for me to do the minor updates, that
16 won't disrupt service, during the morning when almost everyone's in class.
17
18 This system also tells me when a new major version (ie apache 2 or the
19 coming samba 3) is stable, so that I should seriously start planning for
20 the update. Usually, a major update can also be slipped through when
21 nobody's looking, after some testing on non-production machines.
22
23 I've never used debian before, so I can't generalise and say that the
24 versioned distro approach is completely bad, but on DeadRat, I was
25 struggling to keep machines up to date and major updates almost always
26 involved downtime.
27
28 Andrew