From: Ben Munat <bent@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] virtual/qmail?
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2006 23:23:20
1 I have qmail-1.03-r16 installed on my mail server. Portage is saying it wants to install:
2
3 [ebuild N ] virtual/qmail-1.03
4
5 I've read a bit about virtual packages and understand that it's a way of configuring which
6 package to use for a given purpose when there are multiple packages that would suffice.
7 However, I'm not clear on why Portage wants to reinstall qmail or why it's considering it
8 a new install.
9
10 Well in searching through /usr/portage for "virtual/qmail" I find lots of changelog
11 entries saying "changed to virtual/qmail". So, I assume that all the packages depending on
12 qmail have switched to depending on virtual/qmail, right?
13
14 And I need to reinstall qmail so that it's installed as "virtual/qmail-1.03"? However, why
15 does it say it's a new package? And does that mean that I'll have to unmerge my existing
16 qmail manually? Also, why is is 1.03 instead of 1.03-r16?
17
18 Thanks,
19
20 b