From: Kerin Millar <kerframil@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] mail archive
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2005 16:44:13
1 On 9/29/05, Mike Myers <mike@××××.us> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I have a qmail server configured, for the most part similar to the docs on
5 > the gentoo site. I was wondering though if there was a way to archive all
6 > the email messages. I saw a tool to do that on the inter7 site, but it
7 > said it was a patch to allow archiving. i'm not too sure how to patch
8 > some code when it's in portage, and i don't really want to reinstall qmail
9
10 Create a portage overlay (for example, at /usr/local/portage) and copy
11 the existing mail-mta/qmail structure into it. Drop your patch in at
12 mail-mta/qmail/files then add a statement to patch it in within the
13 src_unpack() function of the ebuild:
14
15 epatch ${FILESDIR}/foo.patch
16
17 You'll see many such examples in the ebuild as it is. Alternatively
18 you could `ebuild unpack` the ebuild in the main portage tree, patch
19 the source in the working directory manually before concluding with an
20 `ebuild qmerge" statement (a less desirable approach in my view). For
21 further details this wiki entry may help:
22
23 http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Installing_3rd_Party_Ebuilds
24
25 With regards to the first approach you'll need to make sure that you
26 revise your customised ebuild if there are any future qmail revision
27 bumps otherwise your overlay copy will be superceded by the upgrade in
28 the mainline portage tree.
29
30 Another possibility is to file a bug referencing the patch, add the
31 keyword "Inclusion" and assign to robbat2@g.o asking for this
32 patch to be included.
33
34 Regards,