From: "Jesse
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-server] RAID
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 16:30:25
1 Check out http://www.baarf.com While it's presented with a sense of
2 humor, it's a very serious topic. Especially the PDF titled "Is RAID 5
3 Really a Bargain?" by Cary Milsap.
4
5 Enjoy!
6 Rich
7
8 -----Original Message-----
9 From: JD Gray [mailto:kahdgarxi@×××××.com]
10 Sent: Tuesday, January 31, 2006 10:47 PM
11 To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
12 Subject: [gentoo-server] RAID
15 I'm going to be purchasing some hard drives for a raid5 array. I'll be
16 running them out of my gentoo fileserver. I've used md in the past for
17 raid0, but I know it's not a very robust solution as far as partition
18 resizing and the like. What do you suggest for a good raid solution? I
19 haven't decided on an interface, though I'm seriously considering a
20 buying a SATA controller and going with that, but I could also use the
21 raid controller that's built on to my motherboard. Thanks in advance
22 for the help. I think I want to go with software raid simply because I
23 will be able to transfer the raid to another machine when I decided to
24 upgrade that box.
25 -JD
28 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list
31 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list