From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@××××××××××.jp>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Portage Maintenance
Date: Wed, 08 Sep 2004 02:25:57
1 On Wednesday 08 September 2004 03:14, Kurt Lieber wrote:
2 > On Tue, Sep 07, 2004 at 07:09:27PM +0200 or thereabouts, Christian Parpart
3 wrote:
4 > > Some questions remain anyway. WHO exactly may submit (have write access),
5 > > and, how to get into this new idea to get a bit more attention in public?
6 >
7 > Well, ideally, everyone would have write access. If that freaks people out
8 > a bit too much, then you could have some sort of cursory review process
9 > where a group of people review ebuilds to make sure they don't have any
10 > nastiness in them.
11 >
12 > If you restrict who can access the system too much, then you end up where
13 > we are now, with no net improvement.
14 >
15 > As for getting more attention to it -- start up threads on -dev asking for
16 > ideas. Write a GLEP. Make a fuss. :)
17 >
18 > BTW, one very real criticism of my original idea that will need to be
19 > addressed if anything is to be approved is ongoing maintainership of these
20 > user-submitted ebuilds. It's one thing to submit an ebuild via this fancy
21 > new system, but when that package has a security problem, someone needs to
22 > be there to bump the ebuild. You should not expect the current devs to
23 > take on this responsibility, nor should you expect the security team to.
24 > There will need to be some provisions made for ongoing support of these
25 > ebuilds.
26
27 Not really the correct place for this (at first I thought you were going to
28 suggest super-stable as the fourth tier ;) but the other major concern is
29 quality and affects on supported ebuilds. For example, a user-contributed
30 gnome-libs-cvs breaks gnucash and then the gnucash dev has to stumble around
31 trying to figure out what's wrong until the user finally says that they are
32 using gnome-libs-cvs... I guess this could be worked around by disallowing
33 contributed ebuilds for official packages.
34
35 Regards,
36 Jason Stubbs