From: Robert Sanders <rob-lists@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] SCSI Software RAID and LVM
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 22:20:48
1 On Wednesday 31 March 2004 03:23 pm, Martin Hajduch wrote:
2 > i have raid1 setup at home on my workstation and i have two separate
3 > swap partitions as i have suggested
4 > my point is not to make sure that my machine won't crash if one drive
5 > crashes; i just want to be sure that
6 > my data are (more) safe
7 > i'm using reiserfs which gives me some protection against filesystem
8 > corruption in a case of system crash
9
10 Well, using a Raid 1 in that instance probably isn't the best solution. Raid
11 1 arrays are really best used in a critical server to keep the system online
12 until a tech can schedule maintenece. Soo many things can happen to a raid 1
13 that it is not a good solution for data backup. If a file is deleted,
14 corrupted, etc it is just mirrored to both drives. There is no rotation, or
15 history.
16
17 The biggest gain from a raid 1 array is the fault tolerance. Those of you
18 hoping for backup and data protection are getting a false sence of security.
19 Unfortunatly, its a lesson not commonly learned until it is too late :( Raid
20 is not a replacement for backups. It does help is a lot of instances, it is
21 not a bad idea, but it is flawed.
22
23 I would use that second drive for a backup. Use rsync or some backup utility
24 and create snapshots of the system configs and user files. On my main server
25 for my business, I dump the database and rsync every 30 minutes, and rotate
26 those twice a day for a week, and two weeks on the database, with a once day
27 off machine storage. This has saved my butt several times. For a
28 workstation, that is insane. Something along the lines of a once a day rsync
29 and save back one day would probably be more protection than is needed. But
30 backups are like underwear, and its up to the wearer to pick which fits best.
31 For clients (server) I usually do once a day, with 2-3 days back depending on
32 how much space they buy. IDE drives are cheap, big, and work fine as a local
33 backup. The question of the day is how active is your data, and how far back
34 can you recover from. If losing a hour of work can kill you, then you
35 probably back up more often. Most people are fairly safe daily. On my
36 database, 30 minutes could be upseting, hence why it is so anally backed up.
37
38 I guess my point is that it is never a real backup. If you understand the
39 risk involved, then that is your choice. Just remember when you recommend
40 solutions to someone that may not be familure with the pro's and con's that
41 you let them know. Nothing is worst than a user that feels they are backed
42 up only to realize after the fact that important file is lost forever.
43
44 Rob