From: Florian Sesser <florian.sesser@×××.de>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] postfix + pam auth (sasl) ('unknown password verifier'?)
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 13:22:19
1 Hi,
2
3 I set up a debian-testing server a few days ago with the same goals
4 (postfix 2.1 + sasl2 auth against PAM (postfix + cyrus sasl is a bitch to
5 set up BTW)) and have it working now, maybe I can help you.
6
7 SASL_README.gz (from the postfix-doc package) states that PAM
8 authentication should be done via saslauthd. If you start saslauthd
9 (which, on debian (yeah yeah sorry bout that) comes with the sasl2-bin
10 pkg) with "-a pam" it authenticates against pam. So, my setup looks like
11 the this:
12
13 # cat /etc/postfix/sasl/smtpd.conf:
14 mech_list: PLAIN LOGIN
15 pwcheck_method: saslauthd
16
17 saslauthd must be started with "-a pam"
18
19 my pam setup is simple (again, this is the DEBIAN file location, adapt
20 this to your needs):
21
22 # cat /etc/pam.d/smtp
23 @include common-auth
24
25 (i auth against the local user DB, probably there's a better way to do
26 that, but what the heck, i am glad my setup works well now.)
27
28 also have a look at
29 http://lists.q-linux.com/pipermail/plug/2003-July/029503.html , which is a
30 short but IMO pretty good guide (i like not needing to unchroot postfix).
31
32 with all that postfix-chrooting and cyrus-sasl's behaving like some shitty
33 black box... BARF. ahh, BTW, running "saslauthd -d" will probably help you
34 with the issues that will come up later...
35
36 HTH,
37
38 Florian Sesser
41 > Um, sorry, yes, I meant /etc/sasl2/smtp.conf, of course. I checked it
42 > right now. The problem is still there.
43 > I guess you have it running well? What's the difference between our
44 > configuration? or, how exactly is yours?
45 >
46 > Thanks,
47 > Christian Parpart.