From: Marcus Andersson <marcus@××××××.se>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Sata controller for a backupserver!
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2005 15:24:22
1 Thanks everybody for the good input... I will do another round of
2 reading and looking before I decide what card to buy.
3
4 Thanks again.
5
6 /marcus
7
8 On Fri, 2005-04-22 at 14:29 +0000, deadhead wrote:
9 > You've to decide if you want a SW o HW raid ;-) . The Sw way is cheaper
10 > then the HW one, but the second doesn't overload the CPU since all the
11 > work is done by the RAID controller. As many told you 3Ware and LSI are
12 > reliable pieces of HW. But if you really want a SW RAID, it's enought
13 > for you to buy a SATA/SCSI controller (not RAID, the kernel will do the
14 > dirty job!), if you haven't already one on your motherboard. It's better
15 > for you to buy a card with a chipset already supportedin the kernel.
18 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list