From: "Jesse
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-server] Stable Portage tree
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 19:58:06
1 Hi Sean,
2
3 I think your statement *can* be true, but it doesn't have to be nor is
4 it by default. By definition change is not stable and IMHO Gentoo
5 changes frequently (e.g. portage/ebuilds). It's really up to the
6 administrator(s) to accomplish this stability. Gentoo gives you the
7 flexibility to keep your installed packages up-to-date or stable, it's
8 just not stable by default. BTW, I'm interpreting "stable" here to mean
9 server and application uptime.
10
11 Why do I say "not stable" by default? I believe that blindly emerging
12 world every night is asking for stability trouble. One example I can
13 think of is portage itself. At some version recently, the "strict"
14 FEATURE became the default, which broke several ebuilds that had
15 previously worked. I've also had issues with openssh and ssh
16 commandline switch changes. Others that come to mind are with the
17 multimedia stuff like transcode and the codec libs, but those aren't
18 typically server packages.
19
20 But if one doesn't emerge world on a "regular" basis, Gentoo becomes
21 broken because ebuilds have a limited lifetime and will be deleted from
22 emerge syncs even though that ebuild is still installed. By "broken" I
23 mean that updates -- especially major security updates -- of base
24 packages can no longer be successfully integrated into a running system
25 because the admin must run revdep-rebuild after updating these packages
26 (openssh comes to mind). But since revdep-rebuild requires the original
27 ebuilds of affected packages and many packages' ebuilds can age out (be
28 deleted from portage), revdep-rebuild fails. I've run into this and was
29 left with basically a broken system that had to be either rebuilt from
30 scratch or have an emerge world run. I chose the former because I had
31 little faith that the massive emerge world would have been successful.
32
33 So what's an Admin supposed to do? As someone mentioned, I use
34 PORTDIR_OVERLAY (nee PORTAGE_OVERLAY) in /etc/make.conf. In my case, my
35 PORTDIR_OVERLAY is shared via NFS to my two Gentoo desktops'
36 PORTDIR_OVERLAYs, so all have access to my latest portage
37 "automatically" without resorting to multiple emerge syncs. Here's the
38 script I run every night on my Gentoo server:
39
40 rsync -rlt /usr/portage /my/portdir_overlay
41 # don't use "esync" for max compatibility.
42 emerge sync
43 eupdatedb -q
44
45 It's simple, but does the job for me. I've been doing this since my
46 systems' inceptions, so I'm guaranteed to have the "old" ebuilds on hand
47 for the necessary revdep-rebuilds. Note the caveat of the
48 PORTDIR_OVERLAY lagging one day behind, but that's acceptable for me.
49
50 One change I would like to see in Gentoo to improve stability would be
51 to make the delete of ebuilds in an emerge sync optional, defaulting to
52 the current "yes". I'm not saying that an emerge sync should verify
53 that no ebuilds that are currently installed get deleted (I don't
54 believe this to be an easy option to implement), just an all-or-nothing
55 option. I understand that over time the portage tree grows (my current
56 overlay is ~100MB larger) and that this would not be good for Gentoo's
57 rsync servers worldwide, but I'm willing to give up 1GB of disk on my
58 server for some package/system stability. I know this was discussed on
59 the Gentoo-Alpha list (where I got the PORTDIR_OVERLAY idea), but I've
60 since retired my wonderful Alpha.
61
62 Just my $.02 on the whole shmear,
63 Rich
64
65 Rich Jesse System/Database Administrator
66 rich.jesse@×××××××××××××.com QuadTech, Sussex, WI USA
71 -----Original Message-----
72 From: Sean Cook [mailto:scook@×××××.net]
73 Sent: Friday, September 23, 2005 11:48 PM
74 To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
75 Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Stable Portage tree
76
77 [snip]
78
79 Gentoo is stable and is not bleeding edge unless you are using keywords
80 and unmasking from the stable distro.
81
82 [snip]
85 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list