From: Andy Dustman <adustman@×××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] CPU temperature
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 14:19:57
1 On Thu, 2004-03-18 at 06:02, Bauer, Felix wrote:
2
3 > CPU#0: Temperature above threshold
4 > CPU#0: Running in modulated clock mode
5 > CPU#0: Temperature/speed normal
6 >
7 > and the events/0 - process runs with as much cpu-load as it gets. I can
8 > work on that box if I kill syslog, but the
9 > events/0 process takes seriously too much cpu-time. I'm not pretty
10 > familiar with the x86 cpu's but I think I have
11 > read something that this "next generation Celeron-cpu's" are P4-based
12 > and maybe the P4-features in my kernel are
13 > just running frenzy or not working with this architecture. I'm pretty
14 > sure that my problem is _not_ the temperature.
15 >
16 > Any suggestions or experiences? I'll try recompiling my kernel without
17 > those features (Machine Check Exceptions) and
18 > hope the events/0 stops buggins me
19
20 Well, if you release the magic smoke, then you'll know it was the
21 temperature. Before doing this, I would suggest inspecting your ACPI
22 thermal zones, if any:
23
24 $ cat /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/*/temperature
25
26 If you are much above 70 C, you probably have a cooling problem.
27 --
28 Andy Dustman <adustman@×××××××××.edu>
29 Office of Information Technology, Terry College of Business, UGA