From: Brett Henrich <bhenrich@×××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@g.o, newsantworten2003@××××.org
Subject: RE: [gentoo-server] Old hdd in server
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 15:02:55
1 Squid Cache drives?
2
3 That would be about the only thing I would trust dodgy hardware to do.
4
5 /var/log I really wouldn't recommend, if your logging partition dies, and
6 logs can't be written, I'm not exactly sure what would happen, but I doubt
7 it would be good.
8
9 Mail is also typically kept in /var/spool so I wouldn't put that on there
10 either.
11
12 If possible (and if the drives support it) try and extract the number of
13 power on hours out of the drive, along with the number of start/stop cycles
14 and media errors (there is a package for Linux.. smartmon-tools? Something
15 like that anyway).
16
17 If the drives are in good shape for their age you MIGHT consider using them
18 for something slightly more important than squid space, though ideally why
19 don't you put them in a raid mirror and get some redundancy happening.
23 -----Original Message-----
24 From: news [mailto:news@×××××××××.org] On Behalf Of Michael Diederich
25 Sent: Sunday, November 09, 2003 12:25 AM
26 To: gentoo-server@g.o
27 Subject: [gentoo-server] Old hdd in server
28
29 Hi all,
30
31 i am building a very old server (two dual pentium 100), and i have some old
32 hdds from '96.. I am not sure, who long they will stay alive, and they have
33 only 2GB.. Is there a place in Linux, where i can use them, whitout losing
34 important data? /var/log/? /var/spool/?
35
36 TIA!
37
38 Best regards,
39
40 da didi
41 --
43 Gentoo Linux: Gentoo Base System version 1.4.3.11
44 kernel-2.4.20-gentoo-r7 Pentium III (Coppermine)