From: Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Ideas for a server profile?
Date: Fri, 03 Mar 2006 00:24:48
1 Patrick Lauer wrote:
2
3 > I've been thinking about a restricted profile for servers. It should be
4 > minimal (no crap useflags) and as secure as possible by default.
5 > What I think should be in there:
6
7 I've actually been meaning to work through such a profile for a while
8 now, just haven't had time yet.
9
10 > - no X and multimedia useflags by default (-esd -gnome -gtk -kde ...)
11
12 Off by default yes, it shouldn't be in use.mask however.
13
14 > - put a dhcp client back in system. Not having that sucks, and we can
15 > spare the 135kB installed.
16
17 I suppose this is ok, though I still think this needs to be up to the
18 admin. Its not just the concern about the space it uses, but its another
19 piece of a puzzle someone may not want on their system.
20
21 > - put gentoolkit in. equery, revdep-rebuild etc. are needed.
22
23 Yup, good idea.
24
25 > - having cron, atd, ... in system would be nice, do we want that?
26
27 Leave this up to the sysadmin to decide.
28
29 > - use as much from hardened profiles as we can. SSP is good :-)
30
31 I'd say use the hardened profile as a nice model to go after. It
32 wouldn't take much to remove hardened specific parts of that profile and
33 create a new basic one out of it. We should still have separate profiles
34 from them. Generally, their profile is perfect for a server if you want
35 hardened related stuff.
36
37 > (- use hardened-sources by default if possible, PaX etc. is very very
38 > good )
39
40 Leave the kernel source choice up to the sysadmin
41
42 > - keep default CFLAGS simple - "-O2 -pipe" should be good enough
43
44 Yup
45
46 > What applications do you install on every system? What sshould be
47 > provided for logging, monitoring, intrusion detection?
48 > Is there anything that sucks in the default profiles?
49
50 I don't think we should add much in the system profile. This decision
51 should still be up to the sysadmin. The hardened profile pretty much
52 sums up a good format for a basic server install.
55 Lance Albertson <ramereth@g.o>
56 Gentoo Infrastructure | Operations Manager
57
58 ---
59 GPG Public Key: <http://www.ramereth.net/lance.asc>
60 Key fingerprint: 0423 92F3 544A 1282 5AB1 4D07 416F A15D 27F4 B742
61
62 ramereth/irc.freenode.net