From: Andrew Ross <aross@×××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] kernel binary package [it was: Binary 'mirror' server?]
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 12:26:35
1 On Fri, 2004-07-09 at 05:12, Andrea Ferraris wrote:
2 > > Making a package of the kernel sources packages is just fine. It
3 > > doesn't build a distributable kernel but since the sources are already
4 > > downloaded and patched it makes it very easy and bandwidth friendly way
5 > > to distribute the kernel sources.
6 >
7 > It's not very on subject, but I read that is possible to build binary
8 > packages from the installed packages of a live system. Do you know if
9 > such opportunity exists also for the installed kernel?
10
11 Why wouldn't it?
12
13 aross-laptop root # quickpkg gentoo-dev-sources
14 * Building package for
15 gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.7-r8... [ ok ]
16 * Packages now in /usr/portage/packages:
17 * gentoo-dev-sources-2.6.7-r8: 36M
18
19 Of course, the package contains only the files which would be produced
20 by running emerge gentoo-dev-sources.
21
22 I suspect you are asking if a tbz2 kernel package built from a live
23 system includes the kernel config (/usr/src/linux/.confg), modules
24 (/lib/modules) and kernel itself.
25
26 Cheers
27