From: "Jonathan S. Romero" <jo875452@××××××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] WOLK-4.10 patch ?
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2004 03:00:11
1 What's wrong with WOLK, it seems to work fine on one of my servers. Is there
2 an issue with it that I was not aware of?
3
4 -Jonathan
5
6 On Tuesday 20 January 2004 10:24 am, Ricardo Nuno wrote:
7 > Thanks Kerin when i posted that question to the mailing
8 > i was really awaiting an awser from you :)
9 >
10 > if you get that tree please let us know, i'm going to miss WOLK
11 > but i'm still using 4.9s on some servers.
12 >
13 > --RNuno
14 >
15 > -----Original Message-----
16 > From: Kerin Millar [mailto:kerin@×××××××××××××××.net]
17 > Sent: terça-feira, 20 de Janeiro de 2004 14:22
18 > To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
19 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] WOLK-4.10 patch ?
20 >
21 > > hi guys,
22 > >
23 > > Just came back from vacations, and i notice that WOLK-4.10 was
24 > > released (January 5, 2004). still i cant find the patch on the site.
25 >
26 > Yes, it was supposed to be released on the date shown but was pulled at
27 > the last minute (some corner-case oops issue when booting on a few
28 > machines apparently).
29 >
30 > Unfortunately, the pace of development seems to have slowed considerably,
31 > although I do believe that it will (eventually) be released. My view is
32 > that the rmap VM implementation is increasingly becoming a liability to
33 > maintain - both in terms of quashing existing bugs and ensuring smooth
34 > integration with other patches; in fact, I heard a rumour that Marc was
35 > trying to take over rmap in view of the fact that Rik van Riel isn't doing
36 > much work on it anymore.
37 >
38 > I became frustrated at the situation, and moved to a customised -aa for a
39 > while. My original plan was to create an imitation WOLK based on -aa
40 > applied to a very new 2.4 tree (I believe I made a post some time ago to
41 > that effect). I have been communicating occasionally with someone else who
42 > is doing something similar, so if anything comes of that I will let you
43 > know. I managed to port most of -aa to 2.4.24 but haven't gone much
44 > further than that yet. I am quite busy nowadays, and my attention has also
45 > been distracted by 2.6 (in fact, I'm testing 2.6.1 on the server which has
46 > been great thus far) so I don't know how long it will be before I can
47 > conclude anything on the matter.
48 >
49 > Nonetheless, it's not something I want to give up on. One thing I miss in
50 > 2.6 is grsecurity. It'll come eventually, but for now it's really a 2.4
51 > only thing. When grsec-2.0 is completed I will probably re-examine the
52 > situation.
53 >
54 > --Kerin Francis Millar
55 >
56 > PS: If I get hold of Marc, I might try and persuade him to give me a copy
57 > of his tree as it stands. I don't believe the issue referred to affects
58 > many users.