From: Anthony Gorecki <anthony@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Gentoo in corporate environments
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 22:30:20
1 On Wednesday 20 October 2004 2:37 pm, Jose Gonzalez Gomez wrote:
2 > I also have this feeling when I read in the mailing list or forums
3 > and see that a lot of people tell you to use tar/cp/rsync/whatever.
4 > That's ok for your home machine, but I don't think those are solutions
5 > for enterprise needs. Just imagine yourself telling your boss or client:
6 > "Yes, I'm gonna have all those machines with your critical business data
7 > backed up using rsync
8
9 I backup mission-critical data with rsync on a nightly basis on a number of
10 servers and workstations, and have never had a problem. If you're looking for
11 tape backup solutions, you shouldn't be comparing apples to oranges. In the
12 same way, I have a very hard time placing cp in the same league as rsync.
13
14 I do agree that rsync has its limitations, however there are other similar
15 solutions, such as rdiff, that can provide more robust functionality.
18 > Joking apart, I think Gentoo needs a mind change to become a
19 > corporate distribution and attract people doing real business... just
20 > some thoughts of somebody who's trying to do Gentoo for a living and
21 > would love to see Gentoo in every data center.
22
23 "Real business" does not equal "support for tape backup solutions". While I
24 can understand your comments in terms of practicality, I don't believe it's
25 correct to widely generalize all fields of business, solely based on your own
26 experiences with one corporation that has a specific set of requirements.
27
28 There are two primary items of concern that I believe influence datacenter
29 deployment of Gentoo the most:
30
31 First, having hundreds of machines compiling updates on a nightly basis is a
32 waste of system resources; this would necessitate some type of centralized
33 package management system, which could in turn migrate the updated files to
34 the machines without undue resource strain. The complexity of this solution
35 increases proportionally to the variety of different system configurations
36 that are being deployed.
37
38 Second, in the case of having a large variety of servers that each provide
39 different network services, keeping all of the configuration files up-to-date
40 would be an enormously time consuming task without some type of automation.
41 This is linked to the first concern, with a number of extra considerations.
45 Anthony Gorecki
46 Ectro-Linux Foundation