From: Bastian Balthazar Bux <BastianBalthazarBux@×××××××××.it>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Opteron; BIOS ack's all 4GB RAM, but OS does not
Date: Sat, 14 May 2005 19:57:44
1 Christian Parpart wrote:
2 > On Saturday 14 May 2005 6:28 pm, Bastian Balthazar Bux wrote:
3 >
4 >>Christian Parpart wrote:
5 >>
6 >>>Hi all,
7 >>>
8 >>>I finally got it; my Operaton workstation with 2x Opteron248 CPUs and 4GB
9 >>>RAM is arrived. However, the BIOS says that I really have 4GB RAM inside,
10 >>>that I have, but the Linux is just telling me something about 3GB. `free
11 >>>-mt` as well as `kinfocenter` are telling this. Although, I
12 >>>(unfortunately) *had* to install windows2003 on a partition, too (for
13 >>>working for my company), and there it is also just telling me something
14 >>>about 3 (instead of 4) GB RAM.
15 >>>
16 >>>Did I miss something?
17 >>>
18 >>>mem=4096M in boot commandline didn't help there much.
19 >>>
20 >>>I'm having a TYAN board, with PhoenixBIOS on it. The handbook is far off
21 >>>being a good handbox, so, did I miss something I should
22 >>>configure/reconfigure in the BIOS then, so, that the OS will use all RAM?
23 >>
24 >>theese are more or less memory related values in my kernel config
25 >>
26 >>CONFIG_MTRR=y
27 >>CONFIG_K8_NUMA=y
28 >>CONFIG_DISCONTIGMEM=y
29 >>CONFIG_GART_IOMMU=y
32 > trapni@battousai ~ $ zgrep -E 'CONFIG_(MTRR|K8_NUMA|DISCONTIGMEM|
33 > GARTIOMMU)' /proc/config.gz
34 > CONFIG_MTRR=y
35 > CONFIG_K8_NUMA=y
36 > CONFIG_DISCONTIGMEM=y
37 >
38 > though, CONFIG_GART_IOMMU must have been disabled, and I remember I did not
39 > enable gart at all because I'm having Nvidia GeForce 6600GT (PCI-express) and
40 > wanna use the `Option "NvAGP" "1"` line in my xorg.conf - this is at least
41 > what I had with my old GeForce 5200 working before.
44 >>and this my "free" output:
45 >>free -m
46 >> total used free shared buffers cached
47 >>Mem: 3429 3069 359 0 627 1775
48 >>-/+ buffers/cache: 667 2762
49 >>Swap: 0 0 0
52 > trapni@battousai ~ $ free -m
53 > total used free shared buffers cached
54 > Mem: 3015 2990 24 0 11 2136
55 > -/+ buffers/cache: 843 2172
56 > Swap: 511 19 492
57 >
58 > that's really borring looking at the Mem-total line, it should be anything
59 > around 4048, not 3015 anyway...
60 >
61 > though, it's unfortunately *not* the same as you.
62 >
63 > but, why duo have a total-mem of 3429M? how much RAM duo have physically
64 > plugged in to your board's slots?
67 (1G+1G) + (1G+1G)
68
69 and "dmidecode" show this about memory:
70
71 [...]
72 Handle 0x0022
73 DMI type 17, 27 bytes.
74 Memory Device
75 Array Handle: 0x0020
76 Error Information Handle: 0x001F
77 Total Width: 72 bits
78 Data Width: 64 bits
79 Size: 1024 MB
80 Form Factor: DIMM
81 Set: None
82 Locator: DIMM0
83 Bank Locator: BANK0
84 Type: SDRAM
85 Type Detail: Synchronous
86 Speed: Unknown
87 Manufacturer: Manufacturer1
88 Serial Number: SerNum1
89 Asset Tag: AssetTagNum1
90 Part Number: PartNum1
91 Handle 0x0023
92 DMI type 126, 19 bytes.
93 Inactive
94 Handle 0x0024
95 DMI type 17, 27 bytes.
96 Memory Device
97 Array Handle: 0x0020
98 Error Information Handle: 0x001F
99 Total Width: 72 bits
100 Data Width: 64 bits
101 Size: 1024 MB
102 Form Factor: DIMM
103 Set: None
104 Locator: DIMM1
105 Bank Locator: BANK1
106 Type: SDRAM
107 Type Detail: Synchronous
108 Speed: Unknown
109 Manufacturer: Manufacturer2
110 Serial Number: SerNum2
111 Asset Tag: AssetTagNum2
112 Part Number: PartNum2
113 [...]
114 Handle 0x0026
115 DMI type 17, 27 bytes.
116 Memory Device
117 Array Handle: 0x0020
118 Error Information Handle: 0x001F
119 Total Width: Unknown
120 Data Width: Unknown
121 Size: No Module Installed
122 Form Factor: DIMM
123 Set: None
124 Locator: DIMM2
125 Bank Locator: BANK2
126 Type: Unknown
127 Type Detail: Unknown
128 Speed: Unknown
129 Manufacturer: Manufacturer2
130 Serial Number: SerNum2
131 Asset Tag: AssetTagNum2
132 Part Number: PartNum2
133 Handle 0x0027
134 DMI type 126, 19 bytes.
135 Inactive
136 Handle 0x0028
137 DMI type 17, 27 bytes.
138 Memory Device
139 Array Handle: 0x0020
140 Error Information Handle: 0x001F
141 Total Width: Unknown
142 Data Width: Unknown
143 Size: No Module Installed
144 Form Factor: DIMM
145 Set: None
146 Locator: DIMM3
147 Bank Locator: BANK3
148 Type: Unknown
149 Type Detail: Unknown
150 Speed: Unknown
151 Manufacturer: Manufacturer2
152 Serial Number: SerNum2
153 Asset Tag: AssetTagNum2
154 Part Number: PartNum2
155 Handle 0x0029
156 [...]
157
158 I've not time/possibility to investigate it further, if you came to a
159 solution ... sharing will be higly apreciated
160
161 Regards,
162 Francesco Riosa
163 --