From: "Sancho2k.net Lists" <lists@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] mysql 4.1 status
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 03:00:56
1 Ben Munat wrote:
2 > Jason Stubbs wrote:
3 >
4 >>>> echo '<dev-db/mysql-5.0' > /etc/portage/package.unmask
5 >>>>
6 >>
7 >> I have mysql-4.1 running on four servers. I have never used nor know
8 >> about "MySQL-administrator" or "the query browser". I do know that
9 >> setting up mysql-4.1 instead of mysql-4.0 was as simple as the above.
12 > You've put 4.1 on four gentoo servers without a hitch?? Didn't you have
13 > to uninstall 4.0 first? Do you have vpopmail on these (or other apps
14 > that use libmysqlclient)? I'd really like to do this, but I don't have a
15 > test server to try it on, or a backup server should something go wrong.
16 > What I do have is a dozen or so domains using my 4.0 install for
17 > db-backed websites, email, etc. I can't afford to screw that up.
18
19 That's why you run through upgrades on a non-critical test system first.
20 If you don't have a system to test on, try qemu.
21
22 And yes, you can emerge it easily. Either unmerge 4.0.x first and then
23 emerge 4.1.x, or just emerge it and watch it magically replace the old
24 version.
25
26 Yes, there are library interface changes, so you will have problems with
27 broken reverse dependencies. revdep-rebuild works nicely for these cases.
28
29 DS
30 --
31 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list