From: Marc <marc@××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] RAID
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 04:55:59
1 I've got my Gentoo file server running harware RAID 5 with an LSI-Logic
2 SATA 150-6 controller. It's SATA for up to six drives. The card is PCI
3 and has a massive XOR chip built onto it to handle all the calcs. I'm a
4 huge fan of it, as it's very graceful handling hard drive failures (I've
5 already had one).
6
7 The best part for simplicity is the RAID functionality is completely
8 transparent to the server. It's running ReiserFS just like it were on a
9 single drive, and could do the same with any file system. It just sees
10 it as one device.
11
12 My 2c.
13
14 -Marc
18 JD Gray wrote:
19 > I'm going to be purchasing some hard drives for a raid5 array. I'll be
20 > running them out of my gentoo fileserver. I've used md in the past for
21 > raid0, but I know it's not a very robust solution as far as partition
22 > resizing and the like. What do you suggest for a good raid solution? I
23 > haven't decided on an interface, though I'm seriously considering a
24 > buying a SATA controller and going with that, but I could also use the
25 > raid controller that's built on to my motherboard. Thanks in advance
26 > for the help. I think I want to go with software raid simply because I
27 > will be able to transfer the raid to another machine when I decided to
28 > upgrade that box.
29 > -JD
32 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list