From: Rodney Amato <ramato@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] QA or an unchanging portage tree?
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 22:15:45
1 I have never really looked into how portage is made up to deeply but I
2 would imagine that doing
3 number 2 would have the most benefit and if you are using cvs as I think
4 you are then you might be
5 able to just have a different branch in the tree that has like a 6 month
6 life span. By default you would get
7 the bleeding edge stuff so that it gets tested more but for those who
8 needed a slower moving target
9 they could just change the module they are rsyncing too from
10 gentoo-portage to gentoo-stable-portage
11 or something like that.
12
13 Provided the mirrors don't mind the extra space usage number 2 is going
14 to be the way to go because
15 it is going to be easier to implement IMO and have the most benefits.
16 The part I am not sure about is
17 at what point would something qualify to make it into stable ?
18
19 Kurt Lieber wrote:
20
21 >All --
22 >
23 >I'd like to poll the group to get your input on a question that has come up
24 >recently.
25 >
26 >There are a number of areas where Gentoo Linux could stand improvement --
27 >we all know this. Two examples being discussed now are a) improved QA for
28 >the portage tree and b) the fact that the portage tree is very fluid and
29 >dynamic, which makes it more difficult to use in enterprise environments.
30 >
31 >If you were given the choice between:
32 >
33 >1) A more robust QA process for the main portage tree or
34 >2) A seperate 'server' portage tree that offered:
35 > * only updated quarterly
36 > * security and major bug-fixes off-cycle, but no other changes to the
37 > tree
38 > * guaranteed minimum life of all ebuilds in the tree
39 >
40 >Which would you find more valuable and why?
41 >
42 >--kurt
47 Rodney Amato
48 Systems Administrator
49 http://www.squiz.net
50 >> 92 Jarrett St Leichhardt, Sydney, NSW 2040 ...>
51 T: + 61 2 9568 6866
52 F: + 61 2 9568 6733
53 .....>> Open Source - Own it - Squiz.net ...../>