From: "A. Khattri" <ajai@××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Comments on IMAP Server (cyrus/courier/dovecot)
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 18:40:03
1 On Fri, 12 Aug 2005, kashani wrote:
2
3 > To the original poster you can go fully virtual by combining X auth
4 > method with Y backend with no local accounts. I'd go this route if the
5 > users that need local access to machine aren't likely to reside in a
6 > single email domain. In my case users that need access to the box work
7 > here so I made our domain local, gave ourselves local accounts, and our
8 > customers get to be virtual. The pros here that it's easy and you can
9 > leave your sshd, ftpd, etc configs alone.
10
11 Sure, that's fine when you have ONE server I agree - its just not
12 scaleable.
13
14 > Messing with a virtual mail
15 > system is sometimes hard enough the first time around for a lot of
16 > people and doing everything at once can be painful and most importantly
17 > cause sleep loss.
18
19 A long time ago, we too, used to have a single server with everything on
20 it running sendmail, IMAP, etc, and we had all sort of performance
21 problems because of the lack of scalability. It took us several months to
22 setup the new system - I wrote a *lot* of perl scripts to do this
23 migration away from sendmail to our qmail+vpopmail+MySQL setup.
24
25 In the end though it was worth it. We now have a scaleable solution and it
26 also enabled us to offer new packages that we couldn't do before.
27
28 > Cons of course are that if you need to add local users from any other
29 > domain at some point in the future you're likely to need to re-engineer
30 > things a bit... or a lot. And also make the old local users start using
31 > their email as the login instead of their old username which is always a
32 > fun transition.
33
34 Making the local domain, the "default" domain in our mail system helped a
35 lot here. Of course, we spent a lot of time in support answering calls and
36 emails but things died down after a few weeks. Id rather do that than deal
37 with the constant problems of the old system.
43 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list