From: Ivan Sergio Borgonovo <mail@××××××××××××.it>
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Re: Old hdd in server
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 2003 16:40:40
1 On Sun, 9 Nov 2003 03:05:38 +1030
2 stephen white <steve@×××××××××××××××.au> wrote:
3
4 > On Sunday, November 9, 2003, at 02:19 AM, Michael Diederich wrote:
5 > > Thanks for all your replies - /tmp is a very good idea ;-)
6 >
7 > Nobody else said it, so I will... your Linux system can also be
8 > improved by what you don't add, so I would recommend binning the
9 > drives. It's not worth the effort of trying, and it's a false
10 > economy to use them. On /tmp, the machine will die if the drive
11 > fails.
12
13 > As this is the server mailing list, I'll also point out that adding
14 > odd bits and pieces of hardware to your machines makes groups of
15 > servers more difficult to manage. You should be working towards
16 > standardised machines to minimise the number of hardware profiles
17 > you need to maintain.
18
19 And.. surely swap, /tmp and /var are a BAD places for old *slow* HDs.
20
21 http://www.nyx.net/~sgjoen/disk.html