From: Scott Storck <l0ner@××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Server lockups (still ping) (OT because not Gentoo-specific?)
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2005 20:07:24
1 >>>Nothing. The logs simply stop when the machine does and are no longer written
2 >>>even though the kernel is operable enough to respond to pings and initiate
3 >>>TCP sessions.
4 >>>
5 >>>
6 >My experience is that this is related to running out of memory, and have
7 >replicated it several times on boxes with limited memory. To test I had
8 >two ssh sessions open running `watch uptime` and `watch free`, and then
9 >hammered the box -- the load shot up and free memory was rapidly
10 >shrinking toward 0 and then the box froze.
14 I would have to agree, check out memory usage.
15 I had the same exact thing happening to a server of mine.
16 The cause was the server running out of memory.
17 I had accidentally removed the swap partition out of fstab...
20 The only other time I had something like that happen was when one of my
21 co-workers was pinging the complete 172.16.0.0/12 network.
22 ) ...including the broadcast addresses. :^(
23 Most of the machines had dual nics in the same physical network, and
24 they were getting a huge arp request flood.
25 The arp tables filled up and that was that, no log entries or nothing.
26 The machines would seem to crash.
27 I believe that the current kernels handle that better now, but hey who
28 knows for sure.
31 You mentioned that your switch is a ProCurve.
32 Which model is it? We use the 5300 series, and they log problems on the
33 ports when the switch notices them.
34 Check out the switch logs, sometimes it can really help.
35
36 Regards,
37 Scott
40 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list