From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] advanced routing question
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 15:24:33
1 Haim Ashkenazi wrote:
2 > Hi
3 >
4 > I just came across this article:
5 > http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl?sid=05/04/10/2132252&from=rss
6 >
7 > It seems that I was doing things the hard way (using iproute with
8 > metrics). the one thing I don't understand is how to prefer one route
9 > over the other (e.g. when one connection is faster).
10
11 I believe the author is counting on a total failure of eth0 to drop the
12 primary route. Once eth0 goes down that route is withdrawn from the
13 routing table leaving only the eth1 route. Linux without turning on IP:
14 advanced router in the kernel will use only one gateway. I assume it
15 uses the first one you config and once that disappears the second will
16 be used.
17 The problem is that eth0 will hardly every fail completely. The only
18 way it would is if it is directly connected to say a DSL device and the
19 device became unplugged. That would completely drop eth0 and then the
20 failover would happen. If only the connection upstream from the DSL
21 device went down then the Linux box would happily send data to the up
22 ether interface of the DSL, router, switch, etc.
23 It would also work if you're terminating connections directly into the
24 Linux box... using a ds-1 card or something like that. Again this
25 assumes that the connections fail totally. A ds-1 usually will, but in
26 offices you're sometimes handed ether which terminates on a switch. That
27 switch will be up, but the router or upstream connection has failed.
28 I can't find much on the /proc/sys/net/ipv4/route/gc_timeout setting,
29 but what I did find suggests that it only provides timing as to when the
30 route is dropped. It doesn't add anyway to monitor the connection.
31
32 It's an interesting little hack assuming I'm right about what he's doing
33 with it, but I wouldn't go around implementing it on most networks.
34
35 kashani
36 --
37 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list