From: Janne Pikkarainen <jaba@××××××××××.fi>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Traffic problem
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 18:40:40
1 Hello,
2
3 Paweł Madej wrote:
4 > Hello,
5 >
6 > I got 4x XEON P3 700 IBM server with 5 U160 SCSI drives in RAID 0. On the
7 > logical drive i got one partition with ext2 filesystem.
8 >
9 > My problem is when I want to transfer some big files (ex. 8GB) my transfers
10 > over FastEthernet network goes down to 1,5MB/s and less. I have no idea why
11 > as on slower dell machine with simillar logical drive i got transfers 10-11
12 > MB/s which is maximum on 100Mbit network.
13 >
14 > Please help me with debugging this weird behaviour.
15 >
16 > Greets
17 > Pawel Madej
18
19 Does that server have Intel EthernetExpress Pro 100 network card(s)? I
20 did have some problems with those in the past, somewhere around 2002 or
21 2003 when the server in question was still running Red Hat 7.3.
22
23 Anyway, in that point of time a driver called e100 was causing all kind
24 of problems, but the other one called eepro100 was working fine. Or then
25 it was other way around, can't remember any more. ;-)
26
27 So if the NIC matches, try to switch the driver. Also please make sure
28 NIC is using correct duplex, so for example it's not using 100 Mbit/s
29 half duplex instead of 100 Mbit/s full duplex. You may use ethtool or
30 mii-tool command for that.
33 Best regards,
34
35 Janne Pikkarainen