From: Francesco Riosa <vivo@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Gentoo-server project status and proposal
Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 14:53:18
1 Ricardo Loureiro wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I'm finishing my masters and as final project I decided to make a
5 > "portage" that would work well on a network environment, in this case
6 > a software development lab. My idea is to put portage on a database
7 > and create tools that would allow clients to request packages to a
8 > central machine that would calculate dependencies, compile them and
9 > install on the client. [...]
10 Good luck ;-)
11 > First i'd like to know the status of the Gentoo-Server Project, since
12 > it's not updated since July 2003.
13 Don't think it's very healty
14 >
15 > Second, I wrote a quick draft of what i'm planning to do for my
16 > project and would like some feedback since it may be useful to
17 > gentoo-server. The doc is available at
18 > http://student.dei.uc.pt/~rjlouro/gentoo-server.pdf
19 > [...]
20 offering my 0.02 € ...
21
22 PortageDB
23 ---------
24 - add the possibility to specify CFLAGS (or environment in general) for
25 a single package or class of packages
26 "solar" gentoo dev. may be a good resource speaking of this
27 - keep possible to hook the function (pkg_setup, src_unpack ...)
28 more in depth on gentoo-portage mail list archives
29 - some lurking on the following may gave other good ideas:
30 o http://dev.croup.de/proj/eix/wiki/IndexFileLayout
31 eix storage format
32 o
33 http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/~amb/CM30076/projects.bho/2004-5/SimonMaynard-2004-5.pdf
34 in deep analisys of portage and other package manager (not readed it all)
35 o http://sourceforge.net/projects/portage-c/
36 dead attempt to port portage to c with some good ideas
37 - just in case the choice of the database is MySQL count on my full
38 support ;-)
39
40 Econf
41 -----
42 dark and dangerous land, noone is happy here and never will be.
43 There are config files that an administrator don't care about, the major
44 part.
45 There are config files that an administrator *really* don't want to be
46 updated without see the differences.
47 ^^^ I'm referring also to the simply # comments
48 So the only suggestion here is keep dispatch-conf, with no more that two
49 enhancments:
50 - May it smart enough to recognize identical changes on more clients
51 only the first need to be human accepted
52 - make possible to mark a specific file for auto-update (/etc/services fex),
53 only the first time the human meet that one it will be bothered.
54
55 Portage-server-tools
57 ehm nothing here.
58
59 Also I'm interested in the database creation, is it possible to have a
60 preview ?
63 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list