From: Wade Mealing <wmealing@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Basic Boot deployment
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 11:58:45
1 On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 23:13, Andrew Cowie wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 22:28, Justin Filoseta wrote:
3 > > Unfortunately the requirements for the windows kickstart include
4 samba shares
5 > > which may not be suitable for the gold server. However, it is
6 something to
7 > > consider rather than imaging windows boxes.
8 >
9 > Whether it's images, packages, kickstart, jumpstart, or
10 > emerge/bootstrap, there's nothing that says the file shares have to be
11 > on the gold server.
12 >
13 > If you're going to be bootstrapping an entire trading floor full of
14 > machines one afternoon, it's clear that you'll need multiple (a few)
15 > file servers to take the load of so many clients hitting them for that
16 > volume of binary.
17 >
18 > No biggie - have multiple file servers.
19 >
20 > So applying that thought to the question of regulating access to the
21 > gold server, the key ingredient is that the master server is the one
22 > from which the others *get their instructions*. It could be that the
23 > gold server is contacted by a PXE boot, and then passes instructions
25 > the new client of where to find the images (on another host), or, it
26 > could be (and this would only be necessary in a *really* large
27 situation
28 > or if you wanted to be *really* paranoid about security) that the PXE
29 > servers themselves are just a class of machine whose configuration and
30 > content are controlled by the gold server.
31 > Wade.
32 > > Note, this does require a http server on the gold box (or a
33 > > machine controlled by gold box).
34 >
35 > Exactly. Nothing wrong with that that I can see in any case. Doesn't
36 > mean it's a web server speaking to the outside world.
37 >
38 > AfC
39
40 I agree, although I have this working here from the Gold server due to
41 my limited hardware ( And funding ).
42
43 Either way, All of these machine should be controlled, and "booted" from
44 the Gold server, as per the document.
45
46 I have been looking at a few ways to deploy these images, and it is
47 difficult to find a method that will suit every deployment, it seems
48 each operating system and architecture has a default method of network
49 deployment and configuration.
50
51 In the next few days, I'll post a more detailed document in regards to
52 the work ive been doing, although the Kickstart hacking seems to be
53 going nowhere fast.
54
55 GLIS still seems to be a while off for its configuration files, but it
56 is something to watch. Does anyone know alternatives to Kickstart and
57 GLIS ?
58
59 Wade MealingRe: [gentoo-server] Basic Boot deployment