From: Steve Dake <steve.dake@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] FISH - FTP over SSH?
Date: Thu, 09 Nov 2006 05:34:25
1 in case it helps with your question:
2
3 sftp and scp are part of the ssh protocol. (Some "SFTP" servers are actually
4 just ftp over ssl.) Clients such as coreFTP , filezilla, and winSCP (all
5 windows clients) can connect to any SSH server (like the one you already
6 have set up and working) so you dont need to install another server on your
7 box.
8
9 Some clients give you more flexibility such as the ability to connect to
10 ssh1(w/ scp), ssh2 (w/ scp, sftp), and plain FTP also, in addition to
11 connecting to ftp over ssl. I prefer coreftp because of this flexibility,
12 but winscp and filezilla are also great products. They should all support
13 ssh1, ssh2, and multiple standard ciphers (aes, 3des, blowfish, etc) I dont
14 believe that winscp can connect to a standard ftp server whereas filezilla
15 and coreftp (as well as others) can.
16
17 steve