From: "Sancho2k.net Lists" <lists@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Portage Maintenance
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2004 04:48:48
1 Kurt Lieber wrote:
2
3 > It's not that we aren't interested, it's that there aren't enough of us
4 > given the volume of packages in the tree. There are ~200 developers, at
5 > least 50 of which never touch ebuilds in portage. (doc writers, security
6 > folks, etc.) So, that leaves ~150 folks to manage 7300+ ebuilds.
7 >
8 > That's why I had suggested earlier that we find some solution that makes
9 > it easier for users to get an ebuild into portage.
10
11 It's a great idea. I've been on the verge of doing it myself but I'm not
12 confident that I'll get it right and not produce a completely botched
13 package build. This fourth tier would encourage ppl in my position.
14
15 Incidentally, there had been talk of another tier, the "uber-stable
16 production-ready enterprise keyword." This is one that is needed, but
17 maybe not as immediately needed.
18
19 DS