From: Mikey <mikey@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Re: general advise on running a package repository
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2006 16:04:48
1 On Saturday 04 February 2006 08:09, you wrote:
2
3 > if you have 10 web servers, then they all use the same 'build profile' or
4 > whatever y ou called them, that's fantastic. However... what if on 2 of
5 > them, we want apache 'threads' enabled, and on 4 of them we want hardened
6 > PHP patches, but we don't want it on all of them due to some issue with
7 > the patch (this is all hypotetical). Lets also pretend that these 2
8 > exceptions overlap, 1 threaded server, 1 threaded with hardened php, 3
9 > hardened php, and 5 'standard' web servers.
10 >
11 > This means there's now 4 profiles, and 4 lots of build profiles to
12 > maintain, 99% of the packages in these build profiles will use identical
13 > use flags, only apache and php will be different - your system doens't
14 > allow for these exceptions very nearly, which is my biggest concern.
15
16 I do have a few of these situations, I just create a different build host
17 for them. I developed this environment at home, where I have one really
18 nice P4 3GHz with lots of memory (my myth box). I got sick of rebuilding
19 by laptop and the wife's workstation over and over every time a toolchain
20 or kde update happened. So now I do all of my builds on the fast machine.
21 Each one has its own chroot and originally started at stage1. I have my
22 laptop snapshot set to portage-latest, so I can update it daily if I
23 desire..
24
25 With servers, the size of the build does not turn out to be too bad since
26 all of the crap that is not needed for servers is not built in. I have a
27 couple of situations like you describe, for example one set of web servers
28 needs pam, the other does not, one set needs ssl, the other does not
29 (behind a load balancer that offloads ssl).
30
31 > I do entirly agree that standardisation is the way to go , but I want to
32 > be able to neatly handle the exceptions - because unfortunatly, they will
33 > happen.
34
35 Actually, I went this way because it is more often that not quicker to
36 completely rebuild from a stage1 and install from the resulting binary
37 packages than to risk going through updates. Particularly if you don't
38 update more often than once a week or so. By limiting what goes into the
39 server builds (getting rid of the extranneous crap), the servers rarely
40 need upgrading. Either way, I have to know a complete build (particular
41 snapshot date) will work flawlessly _before_ I put it out on production
42 servers.
43
44 If you are interested, I will post my build scripts. They were not created
45 for public consumption, so they are not perfect, but they do work... Any
46 feedback/improvements would certainly be appreciated :)