From: Matt Steven <matt@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Cc: tigger@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] QA or an unchanging portage tree?
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 13:28:10
1 One of the great qualities of Gentoo is the fast pace at which new software
2 versions make it into portage.
3
4 In terms of "how will it sell" one thing to consider is that it takes less
5 time and effort to type up2date -u (or nearly any other binary pkg system)
6 than to emerge sync && emerge -u world.
7
8 If Gentoo is going in the direction of providing releases on schedule,
9 ensuring one release has certain versions of certain programs and isn't
10 interfered with by future releases, can it be done without cutting away the
11 flexibility?
12
13 Are we going to have a gentoo-1.4-enterprise, gentoo-2.0-enterprise etc
14 portage tree, each release being maintained independent of the others?
15
16 It seems maintaining old release trees aren't "fun jobs" and might require
17 commercial intervention to get anyone interested enough to maintain them.
18
19 I think Gentoo does so well at staying up to date because the developers are
20 the users, they all want the latest XYZ so someone writes an ebuild and in a
21 flash there it is. Will there be the same level of volenteer motivation
22 toward maintaining the security patches on a two year old release?
23
24 Making an 'enterprise' Gentoo will require a solid plan of action that will
25 enable people to sell it to management, some sort of guarantee, and I look
26 forward to hearing how all that will work.
27
28 Regards,
29 Matt
32 Matt Steven