From: Mariusz Zalewski <mz-gentoo@×××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] News (nntp) and forum (http) with the same content
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2006 08:02:41
1 I'm planning to set up news/forum server (on Gentoo) which will be
2 available with nntp and http protocols. I configured inn as pure nntp
3 server - Inn - in the past on other server, and it's working well. As
4 far as I know, there is no better alternative for Inn(?). On the
5 "news/forum server" I don't have to use Inn, if there will be some
6 better nntp/http software.
7
8 I know, that it's possible to use news<->www gateway and Inn, but I
9 don't have any experience in forum and "news<->www" software. That's why
10 I would like you to ask people who know the subject, for advices, which
11 software to pick out.
12
13 Assumpsions for "news/forum server":
14 1. Authentication with login/pass (the same for nntp and http)
16 3. Max workload - I suppose it will be about 300 users at the same time
17 4. Ability to delegation administration task for "news/forum server"
18 software to another (not root) administrator.
19 5. Local server (don't have to feed other servers, and don't have to get
20 posts from them).
21
22 I've found Papercut [http://pessoal.org/papercut/], which could enable
23 nntp access to MySQL database from phpBB for example. But... I've found
24 some posts at newsgroups, which tells that Papercut is buggy for now.
25 Anyone use it?
26
27 I prefer not to use PHP apps (security), but if it will be necessary,
28 soft can be implemented in that language.
31 Mariusz
32 --
33 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list