From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@××××××××××.jp>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] mysql 4.1 status
Date: Wed, 11 May 2005 02:32:54
1 >>echo '<dev-db/mysql-5.0' > /etc/portage/package.unmask
2 >>
3 >>That's not so hard is it? True, the version you'd get is 4.1.8 rather
4 >>than the latest, but it's definitely not difficult to access what is
5 >>available.
6 >>
7 >>Regards,
8 >>Jason Stubbs
9
10 dormando wrote:
11 > You know there are more deps to it than that. There's also the
12 > MySQL-administrator, the query browser, and all related deps you have
13 > to deal with. None of these are very mask-precious, and you can be
14 > sure that most users interested in all of these features won't have
15 > the know-how to set this up.
16
17 I have mysql-4.1 running on four servers. I have never used nor know
18 about "MySQL-administrator" or "the query browser". I do know that
19 setting up mysql-4.1 instead of mysql-4.0 was as simple as the above.
20
21 > Sure, say that it's easy to unmask like that; but where is it obvious
22 > to 90% of your users about what to do in order to get MySQL 4.1 up and
23 > running?
24
25 The Gentoo handbook.
26