From: Kerin Millar <kerin@×××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Linux for Windows PDC
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 13:51:41
1 On Thu, 2004-09-23 at 15:13 +0200, Tarax wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > Could someone tell me how far it is possible to substitute a Windows
5 > Server/PDC with linux products (samba+ldap+etc...) ?
6 > What ar the main problems one could encounter ?
7 > What is actually impossible ?
8
9 Functionally, a Samba PDC is more or less equivalent to a Windows NT 4.0
10 domain controller. You can only tell a Samba server to authenticate
11 against an Active Directory on a Windows 2000/2003 server, Samba cannot
12 _act_ as an AD server. This also means that kerberos is not used
13 (rather, the LANMAN authentication mechanism).
14
15 In recent versions, one can define mappings between Unix user groups and
16 the various standard user groups which are supported by Windows in a
17 domain context (Domain Admins, Domain Users, Backup Operators etc).
18 Before, it was only possible to map Unix users/groups to Domain Admins
19 and Domain Users.
20
21 Roaming profiles are fully supported. System policies are also supported
22 but one must prepare the policy file using a Windows based tool before
23 populating them in the netlogon share. Specifically, one must use the
24 poledit.exe tool (supplied with NT 4.0 I believe) to create these files.
25 However, someone has updated the .adm files used to define the available
26 rules (and the registry keys that they alter) to work with modern
27 Windows clients (2000 and XP). See http://www.osnews.com/story.php?
28 news_id=6684 for an overview. The .adm files are available from here:
29 http://www.snipes.org/admfiles.zip. One will not have quite the same
30 flexibility as provided by the System Policies in AD (for instance, not
31 being able to apply system policies to organisational units with child
32 inheritance). However, one can use the traditional mechanism of applying
33 them to groups or individual users, with the ability to "cascade" and
34 the available permissions will be as extensive. In the poledit tool one
35 can leave a checkbox grey to indicate that the policy in question will
36 inherit either the OS default, or from another policy which applies to
37 the same user (either by group or a per-user policy).
38
39 Samba also has various tricks up its sleeve that would not be possible
40 (at least, not trivially) on a Windows server.
41
42 Please note that it is not necessary to disable SMB's SignOrSeal feature
43 on the client anymore (as suggested in the article)
44
45 Microsoft supply an extra to allow Windows clients to natively
46 authenticate against an MIT Kerberos 5 server. I don't recommend it
47 though because one would have to manage the groups and such locally on
48 each client and at a cost to functionality.
49
50 Whether you do all this via LDAP or using, say, the tdbsam backend
51 doesn't really affect the nature of the functionality although I've
52 heard that PDC/BDC co-operation is a good deal better when using LDAP.
53
54 If you're looking for an open-source method for preparing clients using
55 unattended installations then please look at
56 http://unattended.sourceforge.net. It really is quite superb. As it uses
57 ActivePerl on the client to do most of the heavy shifting, it can also
58 make a good system for software deployment.
59
60 In summary, the functionality should be quite sufficient for most
61 setups. I've been using it for some time and rather like it! In fact,
62 I'm planning to move to LDAP soon. I've made considerable progress; it
63 has not been trivial and I intend to create documentation on it some
64 time.
65
66 HTH,
67