From: "andrea_ferraris\\@××××××××.it" <andrea_ferraris@××××××.it>
To: gentoo-server <gentoo-server@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] kernel binary package [it was: Binary
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2004 13:32:32
1 > > In gentoo the kernel has to be compiled.
2 >
3 > No, it doesn't. Your problem concerns the matter of finding a mechanism to
4 > distribute a pre-compiled kernel; specifically, you want to use portage's
5 > existing binary package mechanism.
6
7 We don't we understand, but the exchange of these messages is interesting and
8 helpful (thx). What you're saying is the same things that I was, writing that
9 there were no a standard gentoo way to do such things. Thx again for the help to
10 accomplishing it hacking the gentoo way. The good of such a system is just that
11 you have the sources and the scripts and you can read and modify them to
12 accomplish your target.
13
14 > I suspect this can be accomplished if you examine more closely how
15 > packages are constructed. If I recall correctly, a portage binary package
16 > is simply a
17 > standard bzipped tarball that contains the relevant /var/db/pkg directory
18 > entry _and_ the files that are listed in the CONTENTS file under said
19 > directory.
20 >
21 > You might be able to hack a package up by modifying the CONTENTS file
22 > prior to --building the package (so that the extra bits you want are
23 > referenced), and any other files that seem relevant there.
24 >
25 > Don't forget also that if you are going to use packages that install
26 > things into /boot then you want to make sure that the target hosts have
27 > /boot mounted prior to such packages being installed ;)
28
29 As Brian Kernighan said:
30 It seemed a good idea at the time"
31
32 Thx again and regards,
33
34 Andrea
37 If this message isn't electronically signed (digital authentication),
38 then it could come from anybody, also from who appears as the sender.