From: widyachacra <widyachacra@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] phpBB masking-SOLVED
Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2007 11:11:43
1 Thank you for educating me..
2
3 On Nov 23, 2007 4:12 PM, Andrew Ross <aross@g.o> wrote:
4
5 > widyachacra wrote:
6 >
7 > > The phpBB is still masked due to constant security bugs since 2005 Jun
8 > > 30. But its using for forums.gentoo.org <http://forums.gentoo.org>. I
9 > > tried to contact Mr.Aaron Walker ( ka0ttic@g.o
10 > > <mailto:ka0ttic@g.o>) regarding this matter but his email address
11 > > also not working.
12 >
13 > That's because he is retired, according to
14 >
15 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/roll-call/userinfo.xml?statusFilter=Retired
16 >
17 > I'm not entirely sure what the problem is that you're trying to report.
18
19 to ask the reason to mask it from 2005. I thought it as a mistak.
23 > If you want to use phpBB yourself, then you need to follow the
24 > instructions from "emerge phpBB" and see the MASKED PACKAGES section of
25 > the emerge man page. However, you must be prepared to accept that phpBB
26 > has a dubious security history and requires extra care and attention to
27 > prevent your server being compromised.
28 >
29 > If you look at http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/forums/index.xml#doc_chap4
30 > you'll see that the 3-man Forums Infrastructure Subproject is
31 > responsible for maintaining the MySQL database and the phpBB instance
32 > that powers forums.gentoo.org . The underlying server is presumably
33 > maintained and secured by the Infrastructure team
34 > (http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/infrastructure/index.xml), which includes
35 > some of our most experienced developers.
38 > > paala# cat /usr/portage/metadata/timestamp.
39 > > timestamp.chk timestamp.x
40 > > wt1-doratupaala alias # cat /usr/portage/metadata/timestamp.chk
41 > > Fri, 23 Nov 2007 04:30:01 +0000
42 >
43 > FYI, an easier way of doing this is:
44 >
45 > andrew@elm ~ $ emerge --info | fgrep Timestamp
46 > Timestamp of tree: Thu, 22 Nov 2007 15:46:01 +0000
47 >
48 > Cheers
49 >
50 > Andrew
56 ---
57
58 - Widyachacra Rajapaksha -
59
60 * Lots of people make the mistake of thinking that Microsoft is a software
61 company. That's wrong. Microsoft is an abuse company that uses software as a
62 method of delivering abuse.