From: Jose Gonzalez Gomez <jgonzalez@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Genoo Automatistation
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 16:04:58
1 Kurt Lieber wrote:
2
3 >On Sat, Oct 16, 2004 at 05:35:00PM +0200 or thereabouts, Jose Gonzalez Gomez wrote:
6 >>Do you have some pointer to any docs regarding this?
10 >Unfortunatley, no. Documentation is one area of weakness. Once you get the
11 >hang of cfengine's syntax, however, it's really not that hard to set up and
12 >get working. The hardest part is thinking of all the different steps that
13 >must be done in order to set up a (web|rsync|ftp|mail) server the correct
14 >way.
18 Ok, I had a crazy idea... I'll tell you... I'm trying to setup my
19 own company, giving open source related services. This cfengine stuff
20 could save me a lot of work, as I could have classes for every kind of
21 machine, or even classes for some clients containing all the packages to
22 be installed and its configuration. I was writing HOWTOs in order to
23 document this, and I had published one of them (regarding central
24 authentication using LDAP/Kerberos) but now I'm noticing that all this
25 HOWTO stuff is obsolete if you compare it to cfengine.
26
27 Back to the crazy idea, instead of publishing HOWTOs in the Gentoo
28 website, you could publish cfengine configurations, or even have some
29 cfengine servers available, so people wanting to quickly setup their
30 servers or desktop machines with a "officially proposed" configuration,
31 could just use that service to have their machines installed and
32 configured. Maybe that would be more difficult with desktop machines,
33 taking into account all the possibilities, but I think that could be
34 pretty easy when talking about servers. That would turn Gentoo into a
35 meta-meta-distribution or something like that :o)
36
37 By the way, I guess you also have the possibility of including a
38 machine in several classes, so if you want a machine to be a rsync and
39 mail server, you just would include it in both classes and cfengine
40 would do the rest...
41
42 Best regards
43 Jose