From: Jeff Rooney <jtrooney@×××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Disable ARP
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 15:04:43
1 Ramon van Alteren wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Jeff Rooney wrote:
6 >
7 >> Both methods appear to work as I hoped.
10 > Good.
13 >> Ramon: you where exactly right, I was following some documentation sent
14 >> over with some load balancers that I am experimenting with. Unfortunatly
15 >> their tech staff didn't have any real options for us other than blocking
16 >> the arp responses via ebtables.
19 > Mmmm interesting tech support, out of curiosity what loadbalancers are
20 > you using ?
21 >
22 Currently I am working with the load master series from Kemp
23 Technologies. I am also going to be trying Coyote Point as well, we
24 still haven't decided which route to take.
25 >
26 >> Not sure why I didn't think about using
27 >> the dummy interface instead of the loopback...guess its just been that
28 >> sort of day for me =)
31 > I have them too (those days), trying to ram the square block through the
32 > round hole.... In some cases it even works :-)
35 >> Thanks again for your help Ramon and RijilV.
38 > You're welcome.
39 > Word of warning: If you lose the noarp option on one of the real-servers
40 > you will see very weird erratic behaviour which can be hard to debug.
41 > Depending on the load you push through the loadbalancer the realserver
42 > which sends an arp will die immediately or slowly whilst generating
43 > weird bugs in your app.
44 >
45 > Best way to check: login with ssh on the vip
46 >
47 Thanks for the heads up...I am actually probably still going to end up
48 running ebtables to filter the outbound arp responses from the vip
49 addresses just to be safe.
50
51 Thanks again.
52 --