From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] RAID
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2006 08:37:16
1 On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 21:47 -0700, JD Gray wrote:
2 > I'm going to be purchasing some hard drives for a raid5 array.
3 Better plan in a hotspare - the last batch of 160G disks I bought is
4 dying at an alarming rate.
5
6 > I'll be
7 > running them out of my gentoo fileserver. I've used md in the past for
8 > raid0, but I know it's not a very robust solution as far as partition
9 > resizing and the like. What do you suggest for a good raid solution?
10 linux md for raid5, with lvm if you want.
11 I get about 1% processor load on an athlon64 (and ~35% on a 500Mhz P3!)
12 at "full speed", it's really nice.
13
14 > I
15 > haven't decided on an interface, though I'm seriously considering a
16 > buying a SATA controller and going with that, but I could also use the
17 > raid controller that's built on to my motherboard.
18 Nooooo! ;-)
19 Better use the linux md driver and use the disks directly. Less b0rkage,
20 more speed.
21 I've had quite good experiences with Promise TX2/TX4 controllers, but
22 opinions differ wildly on this thing.
23 > Thanks in advance
24 > for the help. I think I want to go with software raid simply because I
25 > will be able to transfer the raid to another machine when I decided to
26 > upgrade that box.
27 And if something breaks you can replace it, even migrating the whole
28 array at once to another box (I did that, only needed a new kernel, but
29 after boot *plop* raid back)
30
31 I suggest you also think about failure-related problems - what if a disk
32 dies?
33 What if 4 out of 8 disks die within an hour? (I've seen that)
34
35 Hmmm ... I hope I'm not scaring you :-)
36 Good luck,
37
38 Patrick
39 --
40 Stand still, and let the rest of the universe move