From: "listbot@×××××××.cc" <listbot@×××××××.cc>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] QA or an unchanging portage tree?
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2004 19:08:50
1 hi,
2
3 #1
4 it took me more time fixing some bugged 'stable' packages than reading
5 through changelogs. second one was informative - i only manage two
6 servers with different services/packages.
7
8 best,
9 ilona
12 graphics artist / co-sysop of console++
13 http://72dpi.console.cc
14
15 > All --
16 >
17 > I'd like to poll the group to get your input on a question that has come
18 > up
19 > recently.
20 >
21 > There are a number of areas where Gentoo Linux could stand improvement --
22 > we all know this. Two examples being discussed now are a) improved QA for
23 > the portage tree and b) the fact that the portage tree is very fluid and
24 > dynamic, which makes it more difficult to use in enterprise environments.
25 >
26 > If you were given the choice between:
27 >
28 > 1) A more robust QA process for the main portage tree or
29 > 2) A seperate 'server' portage tree that offered:
30 > * only updated quarterly
31 > * security and major bug-fixes off-cycle, but no other changes to the
32 > tree
33 > * guaranteed minimum life of all ebuilds in the tree
34 >
35 > Which would you find more valuable and why?
36 >
37 > --kurt
38 >