From: "Nayan B. Ruparelia" <nayan@×××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Backup Software
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 13:48:07
1 There's a good intro to using rsync for backing up in the March issue of the
2 linux gazette ( http://linuxfocus.org/English/March2004/article326.shtml ).
3
4 Regards,
5
6 Nayan.
7
8 From: "Mark Schoonover" <schoon@××××.com>
9 To: <gentoo-server@l.g.o>
10 Sent: Thursday, March 25, 2004 6:25 PM
11 Subject: RE: [gentoo-server] Backup Software
15 > Steve Murphy <mailto:list@××××××××××××××.com> scribbled on Thursday, March
16 > 25, 2004 10:19 AM:
17 >
18 > > Bryn,
19 > >
20 > > What about bare metal recovery with Bacula? Have you or anyone else
21 > > tested it?
22 > >
23 > > I've grown weary of using tapes, as the drives go bad and they end up
24 > > being a pain in the ass. I'd like to setup a central backup server
25 > > with a bunch of large capacity, mirrored, hot-swap hard drives. Would
26 > > Bacula work with this config?
27 > >
28 > > Steve
29 > >
30 > > P.S. Mark, sorry if this is a repeat of a recent topic, I just signed
31 > > up for the list an hour ago and I can't find where to search the
32 > > archives.
33 >
34 > No problem Steve! I've read through the Bacula docs the last day or so,
35 and
36 > am about to install it on a system with a single tape drive that's already
37 > running Arkeia. Want to get a feel for it before installing it on my dual
38 > AIT drive library. Bacula would work with the drives as you want. It
39 > supports to file backups! With as much as Bacula can do, I'm wondering why
40 > it's not a very popular program?? It looks to have all the same features
41 as
42 > Arkeia, or Bru Pro - both of which I've used in the past.
43 >
44 > HTH
45 >
46 > .mark