From: MIkey <mikey@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Re: Ideas for a server profile?
Date: Tue, 28 Feb 2006 15:09:35
1 Patrick, lack of server support in the profiles is the bane of my existence.
2 Thank you for starting to address it.
3
4 I would prefer for it to be kept as simple and stripped down, as possible.
5 Particularly get rid of all of the USE flags that end up pulling in
6 X/gnome/multimedia related packages without manually editing portage
7 related files. Don't assume all users want to use all things by default,
8 pam and gpm, for examples.
9
10 Here is my list of USE flags present in the 2006.0 profile that don't belong
11 in a basic server profile:
12
13 X alsa apache2 apm arts avi bitmap-fonts cups eds emboss encode esd
14 foomaticdb gif gnome gpm gstreamer gtk gtk2 imlib ipv6 jpeg kde libg++
15 libwww mad mikmod motif mp3 mpeg ogg opengl oss pam pdflib perl png python
16 qt quicktime readline sdl spell truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts vorbis
17 xmms xv
18
19 Any competent server administrator should know to select which apache they
20 want, which additional flags to add for php, and so on.
21
22 As far as the hardened, I would prefer separate profiles be created for
23 them. Not everyone who runs servers knows how to use them :)
24
25 And finally, mask out php5 and newer versions of mysql until they work with
26 the majority of packages in portage :)
30 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list