From: Andy Dustman <adustman@×××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Problems compiling a kernel w/SCSI
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 23:55:49
1 On Thu, 2004-01-15 at 18:24, Collin Starkweather wrote:
2
3 > NET4: Unix domain sockets 1.0/SMP for Linux NET4.0
4 > ds: no socket drivers loaded!
5 > VFS: Cannot open root device "sda5" or 08:05
6 > Please append a correct "root=" boot option
7 > Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 08:05
8 >
9 > The "root=" kernel option is set correctly in /boot/grub/grub.conf so I
10 > am a bit mystified.
11 >
12 > Someone mentioned to me that I need to make an initrd for SCSI because
13 > of some chicken-and-egg problem during boot. Here I'm a bit stuck
14 > because I don't see much documentation on initrd in the Gentoo
15 > installation docs other than in the mention of genkernel.
16
17 If your root device is a SCSI device, then you either need to compile
18 your SCSI driver (and thus, general SCSI support) into your kernel; or
19 create an initrd with the required drivers as modules and configure your
20 kernel for initrd support. If you don't do this, then you can't load
21 your modules because they are on your root filesystem, and you can't
22 mount your root filesystem because you can't load your modules. Chicken,
23 meet egg.
24
25 My general policy is to configure anything that the kernel needs to boot
26 up as a built-in, and anything else as a module. If you do that, you
27 never need an initrd. Generally anything you need to boot can't be
28 unloaded and reloaded, so there's no point in making it a module, other
29 than trying to make the kernel smaller.
30 --
31 Andy Dustman <adustman@×××××××××.edu>
32 Office of Information Technology, Terry College of Business, UGA