From: Mike Jones <spamtrap@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-server] Re: kernel binary package [it was: Binary
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2004 14:11:05
1 Kerin Millar wrote:
2
3 >>>>In gentoo the kernel has to be compiled.
4 >>>
5 >>>No, it doesn't. Your problem concerns the matter of finding a mechanism
7 >>>distribute a pre-compiled kernel; specifically, you want to use
8 >>>portage's
9 >>>existing binary package mechanism.
10 >>
11 >>We don't we understand, but the exchange of these messages is interesting
12 >>and
13 >>helpful (thx). What you're saying is the same things that I was, writing
16 > OK, well it was just theoretical but I can't seen any reason why it
17 > wouldn't work. If I actually put it to the test myself, I'll be sure to
18 > let you know how ;)
19 >
20 > Regards,
21 >
22 > --Kerin Francis Millar
26 I've got a script which I use to create binary packages for hosts I
27 manage located here:
28
29 http://hobag.inetfast.com/gentoo/kpackage
30
31 It's kind of old (wrote it almost 2 years ago), but it still works for me.
32
33 Mike