From: Ow Mun Heng <Ow.Mun.Heng@×××.com>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Comments on IMAP Server (cyrus/courier/dovecot)
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 09:49:46
1 On Thu, 2005-08-11 at 09:41 -0500, kashani wrote:
2 > Ow Mun Heng wrote:
3 > > Just wondering, can I say, have a virtual domain user user1@localdomain
4 > > (where localdomain is really local but just hosted as a virtual domain)
5 > > which can have SSH/FTP access using the same password to access their
6 > > email?
7 >
8 > My understanding is the are two major ways to solve this.
9 >
10 > 1. pam + db for all accounts including local accounts
11 > Some db magic with pam or whatever local auth you do. This way the user
12 > still has some sort of central auth and doesn't end up with 2 different
13 > passwords and so forth. All accounts are virtual, but users designated
14 > as local also get shell, ftp, etc.
15 >
16 > 2. One localdomain and all others are truly virtual.
17 > set localdomain.com as local in your virtual config and everything else
18 > to virtual. The pop/imap/smtp daemons should auth locally and it pretty
19 > much just works in my experience. The caveat is that it is only feasible
20 > to have one domain as local and it's generally an all local or all
21 > virtual sort of thing. Mixing and matching local and virtual users
22 > within the same domain can be painful and hard to manage.
23 >
24 > I did #2 since it's easy and I like sleep. I use Postfix, Courier, and
25
26 #2 is really very straightforward and that's already accomplishable.
27 However, in the name of experimentation, I'm looking towards how to
28 implement #1. if you have any more leads, do tell.
31 Ow Mun Heng
32 Gentoo/Linux on DELL D600 1.4Ghz 1.5GB RAM
33 98% Microsoft(tm) Free!!
34 Neuromancer 17:49:12 up 1:59, 7 users, load average: 0.79, 0.85, 0.87
38 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list