From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Server lockups (still ping) (OT because not Gentoo-specific?)
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 03:06:28
1 Casey Allen Shobe - SeattleServer Mailing Lists wrote:
2 > The only common factor seems to be that they are all plugged into a
3 > questionable HP Procurve switch that we've been contemplating replacing.
4 > Would that simply be wasting our time (I don't think a buggy switch should be
5 > able to lock up boxes...)? Any recommendations for what to investigate at
6 > this point?
7
8 I have had issues with the older funky Dell switches causing machines
9 to do strange things. Generally I'd see lots of watchdog timers messages
10 from the driver spit out to the console. A combination of newer drivers,
11 turn off auto-negotiation, and fixed firmware from Dell made it go
12 away... can't say for sure what was the root cause. In any case it's not
13 completely impossible for the switch to be aggravating a problem.
14
15 Before replacing a switch I'd want to catch something in the act.
16 Either strange logs from the switch, machines, or console errors. Just
17 something so you don't go insane if it appears after swapping the
18 hardware. :)
19
20 kashani
21 --