From: Sean Cook <scook@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] OT - Samba ADS
Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 02:24:38
1 Robert,
2
3 Thats the one! Thank you!
4 Sean
5
6 On Fri, 2005-05-20 at 15:52 -0500, Robert Larson wrote:
7 > On Friday 20 May 2005 02:38 pm, Sean Cook wrote:
8 > > About a month ago, some one posted a great link/howto on integrating samba
9 > > with win2k. I have in advertantly lost that email and can't find it while
10 > > googling... if anyone has that please send to me off line and I will crawl
11 > > back into the whole from which I came.
12 > >
13 > > Sean
14 >
15 > Hi Sean,
16 >
17 > I posted this to the list a little bit ago, and in the off chance it may be
18 > what you were looking for, I thought I would post it again...
21 > I have actually set this up as an NT domain, as close to ADS as I could
22 > possibly get. The implementation was a little tricky, but it involves
23 > (heimdal)kerberos, sasl, openldap, pam, djbdns, dhcp, and samba. A web
24 > document I had found helped me significantly when I approached technical
25 > issues:
26 > http://www.opentechnet.com/auth-howto/
27 >
28 > Along the lines of replacing ADS, I think this is as close as you may get.
29 > The thing that sets Microsoft's ADS apart is that they use a form of Remote
30 > Procedure Calls that implements a lot of the leg work. This makes microsoft
31 > incompatible against samba.
32 >
33 > In AD mode, a Microsoft computer won't authenticate against a linux host
34 > (though it would as a PDC in NT mode) since it would be trying to communicate
35 > in misc forms of RPC talk. On the flip side, it should be possible to
36 > authenticate samba against ADS. Here is a tool that allows for flexibilty
37 > with authentication under windows:
38 > http://pgina.xpasystems.com/info/
39 >
40 > As far as drawbacks, that's it. I haven't seen anything wrong with doing it
41 > NT style, and with all of the added bells and whistles.
42 >
43 > I don't know the specifics, but the SMB-TNG is a lot more bleeding edge
44 > technology when it comes to samba in an enterprise environment. It may
45 > provide you with a solution closer to what you are looking for:
46 > http://www.samba-tng.org
47 >
48 > I had a lot of fun setting this up! ;)
49 >
50 > Regards,
51 >
52 > Robert
53 >
54 > --
55 > echo "Your stdio isn't very std."
56 > -- Larry Wall in Configure from the perl distribution
59 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list