From: Kerin Millar <kerin@×××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Saving Space on Backups: rm -r /usr/portage/* ?
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 21:24:03
1 > I'm keeping a series of full system backups. However i'd like to remove
2 > anything portage related *that could be replaced by just an emerge
3 > sync*. can I just remove /usr/portage/* in these older backups?
4
5 If you're inferring that you have a safe and workable method to purge just
6 that path from a prior backup(s) and you're sure that not being able to
7 recover a portage tree from a backup is ging to be fine in any recover
8 scenario then yes, in principle you can.
9
10 The two aspects that you /may/ wish to preserve would be:
11
12 * Your distfiles (/usr/portage/distfiles/*)
13 * Your binary packages, if any (/usr/portage/packages/All/*)
14
15 On a slightly different note, and concerning distfiles, there is an
16 excellent script which removes all files in distfiles that would _not_ be
17 required for a rebuild of any package that you currently have installed.
18
19 You can get it here:
20
21 http://evvl.rustedhalo.net/software/gentoo/
22
23 Don't be led astray by the one at http://www.stacken.kth.se/~foo/gentoo/
24 as Eric's script is the better one ;)
25
26 Regards,
27
28 --Kerin Francis Millar