From: Joby Walker <zorloc@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Gentoo and Xeon CPUs
Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 15:57:40
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 IA64 is not the Intel equivalent of amd64. IA64 is the Itanium line,
5 which is a completely different 64bit architecture. IIRC the Intel
6 Xeons are "EM64T". Until there is a specific build for it, I'd just use
7 the amd64 livecd and stages.
8
9 Joby Walker
10 PGP key: https://staff.washington.edu/joby/joby-h-pub.asc
13 Claudinei Matos wrote:
14 > Actually I did installed gentoo at one dual Xeon 3.0 but I did
15 > installed with p4 support instead of ia64 since I can't boot a ia64
16 > livecd to begin gentoo install.
17 > I've looked for a livecd for ia64 architeture but I didn't found, so
18 > I've tryed to use the amd64 livecd (I read in some places it could
19 > work) and it boot up but I can't chroot into the ia64 stage1
20 > directory :/
21 > So I think you could use one previous debian for ia64 installation for
22 > begin gentoo install if you have time to do it. I didn't 'cause I had
23 > to put the machine to work quickly.
24 > By the way, the server is really fine, without any problem, and I
25 > thinking to upgrade it to ia64 as soon as I order another server.
26 > About the onboard devices, if you are using a SE7520BD2 from Intel you
27 > may just have to compile LSI Pro Logic driver into the kernel and
28 > boot-up without initrd or put these modules into the initrd if you
29 > want initrd 'cause genkernel doesn't doit by default.
30 >
31 > Cheers to ia64 architeture, let me know if you able to do it.
32 >
33 > Claudinei Matos
34 >