From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] ldap or mysql?
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 04:36:02
1 Claudinei Matos wrote:
2 > About this topic, I want to know if postgresql may be a good choice
3 > instead of mysql.
4 > explain my case, I have a website with a intranet/extranet that uses
5 > postgresql as DB to stock a lot of data. Both of they will need to
6 > query a users table in DB to authenticate the users.
7 > What I want is to make just one users DB which one I can use to
8 > authenticate my web users, my email accounts (postfix + courier), the
9 > workstation login (linux workstations) and some samba clients.
10 > Considering that my website already use PostgreSQL, the development
11 > guys ask me about keep using only PostgreSQL. I think it could be a
12 > good idea since they will not have to change they sqls (mysql doesn't
13 > have support to all the things they commonly use) but I know postgre
14 > may be a bit slower then mysql and also a bit heavier.
15 > Did somebody have any experience of these type of authentication with postgres?
16 > Could the perfomance differences be meaningless? Or maybe it's better
17 > to do the effort to exchange the users DB to mysql?
18 > Note1: I already authenticate my email accounts with courier + mysql.
19 > Note2: In both ways I will use a separated server to run the DB.
20
21 Break that into paragraphs next time, it's a little hard to parse.
22
23 The performance difference between Mysql and Postgres is going to be
24 pretty negligible assuming we're not talking about a gigantic number of
25 user data. The tables will fit into RAM nicely and your selects are
26 going to be quick in either db.
27
28 I would not recommend running Mysql and Postgres on the same server if
29 you're doing any sort of real traffic. Real traffic being highly
30 subjective to your workload, software, data size, and hardware. In my
31 environment I found that Mysql and Postgres on the same server
32 backend-ing some fairly heavy web sites cut performance to 60-70% of
33 what I'd see on the purely Mysql servers. Your mileage will vary greatly.
34
35 In your case I'd break out a spread sheet and start comparing which
36 database your authentication software requires or supports. Assuming
37 both are equally supported I'd go with the db you're more comfortable
38 administrating. The amount of SQL either Mysql or Postgres supports is
39 not likely to play a part in your decision.
40
41 Now I move into purely editorial mode
42
43 Mysql and Postgres admins, developers, fans, etc come from two
44 different worlds. People who know what they are doing in Postgres seldom
45 know what they are doing on Mysql. And vice versa. Getting anyone who is
46 comfortable with their db platform to switch will be painful and is
47 going to require a mandate from on high. And someone who really knows
48 the new database is going to have double check code, db schema,
49 indexing, etc etc for the next 6 months. Because everyone is going to do
50 all the things that work in the old database that you should never, ever
51 do in the new database. And then complain about the new platform, loudly.
52
53 I'm enforcing such a move this month and already hate every idiot
54 developer who was a fan of the old database platform who are thankfully
55 in the minority. I don't suggest doing such a move unless you have to. :(
56
57 kashani
58 --
59 gentoo-server@g.o mailing list