From: Linux GNUbie <gnubie@×××××.com>
To: scook@×××××.net
Cc: gentoo-server@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-server] Stable Portage tree
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2005 06:00:12
1 On Sat, 2005-09-24 at 00:48 -0400, Sean Cook wrote:
2 >
3 > so obviously we need to exclude operating systems like FreeBSD and OpenBSD
4 > for any type of production use because they do not have binary packages?
5
6 They're not GNU/Linux, they're *BSDs. I was only referring to GNU/Linux
7 distributions.
8
9 > Gentoo is stable and is not bleeding edge unless you are using keywords
10 > and unmasking from the stable distro.
11
12 Granted that Gentoo is stable for production use because I believe
13 you're not the only systems administrator that use it in production
14 environment. I am just wondering if the services you're running on your
15 Gentoo systems are customed applications which might be requiring
16 commercial databases like Oracle and IBM DB2, and also requires a
17 particular version of tools and libraries of the said applications.
18
19 > this assumes that one could manage 100 server of any distro in this
20 > manor... in fact gentoo lends itself to this environment better that most
21 > linux distrobutions because of portage overlays that allow you to tag
22 > specific machines for beta and production based on packages. It also
23 > allow you to build multiple packages and distribute them from a single
24 > source after testing.
25
26 I don't have any problems with the rest of the packages to update in
27 Gentoo. I personally like the package management of Gentoo and I'm very
28 much excited and hopefully be confident to use it in production. Again,
29 I am just worried if my customed applications will not work one day
30 simply because the tools and libraries that my applications are very
31 much dependent were updated to the latest versions which it shouldn't
32 happen. I only need the security and bug fixes updates for the packages
33 that my customed applications are dependent.
34
35 > freebsd servers.... it is all simply a matter of comfort. you should
36 > never put any system into a production environment unless your comfortable
37 > admining that system... period. So lets stop the pissing contest of my
38 > distro can beat up your distro and get to the real issues.
39
40 You're right in here. Hopefully I'll be confident and comfortable
41 enough to use Gentoo in my production environment.
42
43 Thanks.
44
45 ---